Back

Lanškroun - chateau and town museum

Menu
Address nám. A. Jiráska, Zámek 1
GPS 49°54'48"N 16°36'49"E (xx km)
376 m above sea level
swipe

The oldest part of the Lanškroun Chateau is the wing adjacent to the Church of St. Wenceslas. This was the eastern wing of the monastery, built by the Augustinians after 1393. The structure was named a chateau as early as 1507, when it was acquired by the Pernštein family. The building underwent numerous reconstructions over the subsequent centuries, and these substantially changed the chateau’s appearance. A ceremony hall is now located in the newly altered Gothic spaces of the chateau’s west wing; the south wing holds the town museum and cultural centre. Allegedly there is an underground passage that leads from the Lanškroun Chateau to the New Chateau at Rudoltice. In 1940 the Germans searched for this underground passageway, without success.

Did you know that the spectre of the evil keeper Rieder supposedly haunted the surroundings of the Chateau Lanškroun, swinging from chateau poplar trees, his eyes glowing and howling like a wolf?


Category chateau, gallery, museum, sculpture / burial site
Services cloak room, free WiFi, sale of novelties and souvenirs, WC

Tours / exhibitions

Description The history of the city and surroundings. A cabinet of coins and medals of the academic sculptor Zdeňen Kolářsky. Glass-making on the border of Bohemia and Moravia. Memorial Hall of the composer J. Pravecka. Empire room - restored set of furniture made for the Emperor Frantisek Josef I for the occasion of the act of the manoeuvre of the Austro-Hungarian army in Lanškroun in 1894.
Open to public
Video cameras allowed: No
Opening hours
(GMT +2)
  • year round Tu-Fr 9:00-11:30 13:00-16:00 (independently or with guide)
  • year round Sa, Su 13:00-17:00 (independently or with guide)
  • year round all day (only to order)

Before visiting the building we recommend checking the current opening hours on the building's website or by contacting the operator by telephone.

closed Now closed according to business hours
Last tour before closing: 60 min.
Sightseeing time: 60 min.
Foreign languages tour guide (Czech, English, German)
Exhibition specialization glass / porcelain, music / musical instruments, regional history
Minimum / maximum number of people per guide ?/30