Back

History

Menu

Lanškroun City (historically Landeskrone, Kronland = Earth’s crown) was established in the 2nd half of the 13th century in relation to the royal colonization activities as the main economic centre of the extensive Lanškroun-Lanšpersky estate. The city has a regular medieval layout with a square-shaped square in the middle of which stands the Renaissance City Hall.

Historical photograph.

The first written record of Lanškroun dates back to 1285 when Záviš of Falkenstein took over the city after Czech king Vacalv II. From 1304 Lanškroun was a part of the Zbraslav monastery estate, then the Litomyšl bishopric (1358). In 1371 Petr Jelito, a local and the Litomyšl bishop, founded the Augustinian monastery in the city on the site of the present day Church of St. Mary Magdalene. However, due to the waterlogged soil it was later moved to the site of the present day chateau and Church of St. Wenceslas. The monastery was burnt down in the 15th century by the Hussites and rebuilt into a chateau by the owner of the estate in the 16th century.

After the Hussite wars in the 15th century, Lanškroun fell into the hands of the Kostkovy of Postupice. From 1507 the Pernsteins ruled the city with the exception of thirteen years when the city was ruled by the Lords of Boskovice. During the rule of the Lords of Postupice and the Pernsteins, Lanškroun was granted a number of significant privileges. Other owners of the city and estate were the Hrzánovy of Harasov and after the Battle on White Mountain (in 1620) Lanškroun fell into the hands of the Lichtensteins (from 1622). During the Thirty Year War the city was destroyed by the Swedish and Imperial troops.Historical photograph.

After the Thirty Years War German settlers came to Lanškroun and asserted German administration. From 1683 the city book was written in German. For centuries the burgher and prince’s brewery brewed beer next to each other. In the middle of the 17th century the scientific activities reached their climax of the most significant Lanškroun native, physic, mathematician, astronomer, physician and philosopher, rector at Charles University and founder of the  spectroscopy Jan Mark Marci (1595 - 1667), after whom the main square in Lanškroun is named and even the crater on the other side of the moon. In the middle of the 19th century Lanškroun became the seat of the district office and district court and remained the district city until 1960.

Historical photograph.After 1990 the city underwent renewal and a boom. Apart from extensive residential and industrial construction, the establishment of new streets and squares document Lanškroun’s development. In the city centre the Renaissance City Hall was reconstructed, the main square of J. M. Markůn was reconstructed, the Al. Jirásek Square was redesigned and the Brewery Square was built within the premises of the former prince’s brewery. Moreover, a sports hall and winter or athletics stadium were built.

Photo documentation was provided by the Lanškroun City Museum.